Saturday, April 11, 2009

Meeting Meg Cabot

I am so sorry for the delay in getting this post up on the blog. I had written a long blog entry earlier this week and was just about to add all the photos when my computer suddenly shut down. I lost the entire post. My laptop has done this a handful of times in the past week or two and Jack said he fears it is running on borrowed time now. Lovely....
Anyways, on to Meg! I took the girls out of school a little early last Friday so we could drive down to the Blue Willow Bookshop in West Houston for Meg Cabot's book signing. Meg arrived at the shop at 4:30 to about 100 or so waiting fans. It was thrilling! She talked to us for half an hour about her life as a writer and then took questions from the girls. Smart, funny and very giving of her time, I was totally impressed with her! After her talk, the girls and I stood in line so they could get their books signed and meet Meg. I also had brought along one of the buckets I make and decorated it with the dust covers of Meg Cabot's Allie Finkle series (sorry Claire for doing that to your books!) The girls and I filled the bucket with M&Ms and brought it as a gift to thank Meg for the advanced copies of Being Nikki and Allie Finkle's Best Friends and Drama Queens that she sent to the girls back in February.When it was our turn, the girls shyly approached Meg and gave her their books to sign. I placed the bucket on her table and said it was a thank-you for the advanced copies she sent to Meghan and Claire. I could tell she couldn't quite remember, so I pointed to Meghan and said "You know, she's the fan with the Dwight Bobblehead on her bookshelf in front of your books.'" Meg's face lit up....she remembered that! She thanked us sincerely for the bucket and M&Ms, signed all of the girls books and posed for pictures with them. She was just super nice, down-to-earth and very approachable. I was so thrilled for Meghan, Claire and Anna.....especially Meghan though. She has just about all of Meg's books and she is definitely one of her favorite authors, if not her very favorite. As a mom, it was so nice to see this meeting play out the way it did. Meghan was grinning from ear to ear.
While other kids idolize celebrities or others who are infamous for all the wrong things, my daughter looks to a smart, witty, funny author as her mentor. I could not be more proud of both Megs......mine and the woman who made her day!

No comments: